Friday 9 January 2015

FITNESS FRIDAY: Why did I choose Fitness First?


[UPDATE: DISCLAIMER: THIS POST HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CURRENT ONGOING SEXUAL ASSAULT INCIDENT IN FITNESS FIRST ON 6 JAN. I HAD SCHEDULED THIS POST WAY WAY LONG AGO AND COINCIDENTLY SCHEDULED FOR TODAY]

I started going to a gym some 10 years ago starting with California Fitness Singapore when I was working and studying in Singapore between 2003-2006..

My then home club was Cali Orchard building which was next to my workplace so that was where I hang around and showered and keep my things in the shoe locker.. Damn convenient lo.. and it's super duper ultra cruisy in the showers (as if nobody knows hahaha!) especially the steam room at the end of the alley..

Singaporeans: do you still remember?

When Cali moved to Ngee Ann City, it continued to retain its title.. and I believe it's still very cruisy even now.. my last entry into Cali was before they cancel my Celebrity Fitness reciprocal access.. Heck, at least I been there a few times :)

When I came back to KL, I transferred back my membership to California Fitness Midvalley, and continued to stay on when Celebrity Fitness took over.. It was only in 2012 that I switched to Fitness First, with my ex..

But why Fitness First?

Before & After
Probably it's because of the offerings and the flexibility that FF is able to offer me.. I travel around quite a bit so I thought FF was the best choice for me, apart from the A+ class of instructors.. And since I am on the Platinum Passport membership, it allows access into any FF worldwide unlimited of times..

(On the contrary, Celebrity Fitness Malaysia membership limits access to 3x  a month for overseas use, last I was told).

At the time when I left Celebrity, the monthly rate I was paying was more expensive than what Fitness First offered me, and that is a great incentive for me to jump, so when I terminated my CF membership, the consultant didn't even try to make me stay, cos it's well known fact that they are charging more..

I am not sure how much is CF monthly rates now, but the rate I pay in FF is justified by the offerings.. despite the fact that FF have raised the rate once in the last 2 years..

They said FF was cruisy, but of the 2 years plus I'm with FF, I still feel that CF wins hands down.. Celebrity Fitness no doubt the cruisiest still is Midvalley followed by Lot 10 & 1 Utama (confirm there's something going on in the showers each time I was there), not too sure about other branches but I have a feeling they are not cruisy at all, at least the ones I been to, and taught in..

And I have no comment of FF at this juncture while I am still in FF as a member and instructor-trainee.. LOL...

Now there's a new chain in town, Anytime Fitness which is individually franchised owned, whose main selling point is 24/7 gym and is aggressively opening in KL.. And each shower cubicle is a private bathroom with toilet! WTF!! Only downside is there is no LESMILLS license, so it doesn't appeal to me that much, but I would like to go look see look see for myself..

Anyone goes to Anytime Fitness care to share how much is the monthly fees?



16 comments:

  1. I go to Anytime Fitness in the U.S. I mostly joined the gym because it is convenient to my house and it has all of the basic equipment that I need. Additionally, I travel frequently and I have access to all other Anytime Fitness gyms with my key fob. The cost is only $38 USD/month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Crad for the input - however I am not sure if that's what it costs in Malaysia though.

      The good thing about Anytime Fitness is the access! I am so jealous hahaha!

      Delete
  2. I just signed up at CF. How la?! Gonna go for the first time tomorrow..Now you make me a little nervous..LOL..

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Anytime Fitness offers early birds a monthly fee of RM139 and you can access to over 2,500 gyms worldwide & across USA. To date this no-frills gym has been ranked top franchise with over 2 million members. I have seen their gym at BU8 where they have similar machines with FF but newer variations plus their treadmills have individual Astro to watch. The BU8 gym will open on Tues 13/1.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the insight Twilight Man..

      I will check it out.. ONE FINE DAY hahaa... just for the fun of it..

      Delete
    2. rm139 damn cheap....my plan is to sign up in malaysia then go workout in the singapore branches...since I am working there now...rm139/3 is about sgd46....dirt cheap

      Delete
  4. Ff got limits into gym when you go overseas for passport? Also, does ff really count the number of times you enter? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I know, as long as the validity of the passport is valid, there isn't a restriction on the number of times you can enter (unlike CF).

      So always ask for a 3-months passport if you travel around a lot and use the gym just like your local gym (with towel, and platinum clubs in Thailand, SG and Indo provides gym clothes too).

      Delete
    2. I asked the FF in Tampines, and they told me the International passport only have limited 30 times access to Singapore FF per calendar year.

      Delete
    3. Really?
      Then again, their systems is not linked and both countries FF are separate entities and all they do is sight your passport card and return you your card. In that respect, how are they keeping track of your entry? Having said that, the 1/2/3-month passport allows unlimited entries into overseas FF. It sounds ridiculous that they can keep track.

      Maybe they just want to discourage you from doing that (yes, actually). Cos you pay in ringgit to a Malaysian club and then use Singapore club facilities - surely they are on the losing end, on economic sense for having to provide you access yet get no money out of you whatsoever. Make sense?

      Delete
  5. Hi there, mind seeing how much your FF membership costs? I'm considering getting one.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The best gym in Malaysia will be FF or Anytime Fitness. AF is cheaper at RM129 per month if u sign up earlier before their official opening, it is Worldwide membership but they have lesser classes if you the one that often joining the class. FF Gym is always good but is pricy, but of course u get the professionalism, cleanliness, neat and is very well maintain despite it is old for some outlet. If you are looking for something cheap with many outlet and classes, then it will be Celebrity fitness, but it is one of the worse international gym chain that I ever visit. Poor maintenance, messy, dirty equipment, dumbbells are missing, spoiled locker, TV & treadmill, class instructors are always late and never be punctual, but is cheap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are actually spot on.

      FF - they only put more emphasis on Platinum clubs, most of the time, the blue clubs are very much left to be desired for.

      For someone who travels quite a bit, the main point is Passport allows unlimited access to all FF overseas as compared to CF and True which restricts overseas visit.

      CF - it's dirty and consultants using dirty tricks too, quite overall.

      Delete

Featured post

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2023!

So firstly, I would like to wish you guys a very Happy New Year 2023! I spent the New Year's holiday with my boyfriend in Thailand, in P...

Popular Posts