Wednesday 22 September 2021

The ONE song I hated

If there's a song I can say I hate, it is Warwick Avenue by Duffy..

No - it's not THE song that I hate, it's because of the way I learnt of the song and what it meant to me.. 

It was the breakup song for me with my 3rd ex.. There was no closure, but he asked and told me to go listen to this song and figure it myself.. No doubt the breakup was left hanging, I knew he was hurting as much as I was but I still couldn't, to this day, find a reason for it or why we parted.. 

It was more than 10 years already - I have learnt to let it go.. The best part is, my foreman still fondly remembers him after servicing his car ONCE and kept asking where has he disappeared now.. 

I suddenly recalled this song as I was singing with friends in the karaoke app, and then I came across this song.. sang it and shared why I hated it.. after I finished, emotions came back and I went offline.. 

Here's the lyrics, apart from the reference to Warwick Avenue tube station, everything else speaks for itself, as I highlighted in blue, as more than 95% of the lyrics was exactly what he wanted to say.. Duffy wrote this song for one of her ex-es by "accident"..



Warwick Avenue
Duffy
“Warwick Avenue,” the second big hit from Duffy’s smash hit debut album Rockferry, tackles the classic effects of heartbreak, even after a relationship that was the never meant to be.

[Verse 1]
When I get to Warwick Avenue
Meet me by the entrance of the tube
We can talk things over a little time
Promise me you won't step out of line
When I get to Warwick Avenue
Please, drop the past and be true
Don't think we're okay just because I'm here
You hurt me bad, but I won't shed a tear

[Chorus]
I'm leaving you for the last time, baby
You think you're loving, but you don't love me
I've been confused, out of my mind lately
You think you're loving, but I want to be free
Baby, you've hurt me

[Verse 2]
When I get to Warwick Avenue
We'll spend an hour, but no more than two
Our only chance to speak once more
I showed you the answers, now here's the door
When I get to Warwick Avenue
I'll tell you, baby, that we're through

[Chorus]
I'm leaving you for the last time, baby
You think you're loving, but you don't love me
I've been confused, out of my mind lately
You think you're loving but you don't love me
I want to be free, baby, you've hurt me

[Bridge]
All the days spent together
I wished for better
But I didn't want the train to come
Now it's departed
I'm broken-hearted
Seems like we never started
All those days spent together
When I wished for better
And I didn't want the train to come!
Oh, oh

[Chorus]
You think you're loving, but you don't love me
I want to be free, baby, you hurt me
You don't love me, I want to be free
Baby, you've hurt me

2 comments:

Featured post

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2023!

So firstly, I would like to wish you guys a very Happy New Year 2023! I spent the New Year's holiday with my boyfriend in Thailand, in P...

Popular Posts