Saturday 1 June 2019

Taiwan 2019 - DIY Day Trip to Jiufen & Shifen

I tend to like to explore alone wherever I can, by using public transportation, even though I am a little illiterate in Mandarin, I challenged myself that I won't get lost, not in Taiwan at least :)

So in the morning after breakfast, I made my way to Taipei Main Station.. I have read some of the instructions on how to move about but some are too general that you'll still be feel lost anyway..

Let me try to write my own guide..

TO JIUFEN/SHIFEN

1. At Taipei Main Station, make your way to the TRA platforms.. You don't have to purchase a ticket from the kiosk if you have the Easycard (悠遊卡).. Just tap in and out like you normally would..

2. At the platform, usually platform 4 (either 4A or 4B that you will have to see which train you want to take), you can take ANY northbound train except to Keelung.. the only difference is how long your journey is going to take; whether it is a limited express train, express train or a local train.. All these trains (whichever destination) have a stop at Ruifang, that's where you want to go in order to go to Jiufen & Shifen..

The schedule at the platform

Don't take the Keelung train.
Don't take the Qidu train also (because Qidu is halfway between Taipei & Ruifang, makes sense??)
Other than that, any train listed here is FINE.
I took the 642 train which is a express train, hence it is faster than the local train to Ruifang. 

Platform

Inside the train

Inside the train

Listen to the announcement, the announcement will tell you something like "if you do not have a seat reservation please board car 1-4 (or was it 4-8, i can't really remember)." but really it's no big deal where you sit or board.. It is meant for those who did not purchase a ticket from the kiosk and used the Easycard to board.. Perfectly fine, except you have no seat number and you must give up your seat to those who have a seat number..

No big deal because its practically empty anyway.. You can sit anywhere and anyhow you like.. Eating and drinking is allowed on the platform and train..

3. About 40 minutes later on the express train, it pulls into Ruifang Station.. Make your way to the exit, if you are using the Easycard, remember to scan/tap your card when you exit!

Follow the green direction to the bus stop to Jiufen.
Coming back, the bus stop directly at the train station.
Go to Platform 3 for your Pinxi train to Shifen. 



TO JIUFEN

4. Once out, turn left and head towards the main road. On your left you will see taxi stand with lots of taxi waiting. On your right, some cafe bakery. Turn left at the main road and walk ahead for about 200m until you see the police station.. It is huge so you can't miss it.. (see map above)

5. Cross the road and go to the bus stop beside the police station.. Here it will tell you which bus goes to Jiufen.. Definitely idiot proof..

The bus stop at the junction. 

Idiot proof board to tell you which bus you can take to Jiufen
(marked as the big O)

6. Don't worry - chances are, you're not alone.. Many people is going to Jiufen as well and many people are tourists like you.. Each busses that pull up will be full of people going to Jiufen..

7. When you board, the driver will give you a little card like this.. You have to return this card back when you alight.. I still don't know what's the use of it. nor did I find out..

You are given a little card when you board the bus.
Return it when you alight.

8. Going up the mountain, the journey takes about 10-15 minutes up the steep mountain with many turns and you know you'll arrive when you see buildings upon buildings on the cliffs.. but wait, don't alight yet..

9. The driver will shout out JIUFEN JIUFEN .. that's when you alight.. at the Jiufen Old Street..

10.  When you alight, you are behind this temple where I took this photo..

Alight at the back of the temple. 


You might want to spend some time to admire the scenary.. on a clear day it's really something to look at..

11. Once you're happy, make your way to the Old Street and start your Jiufen trekking.. I did not each much things here as I find all the stores unappetizing, but lunch beckon so I had to find a restaurant for lunch.. and settled for a plate of noodles and some meatballs..

It's not cheap but heey, tourist spots mind you!

Cost like NT$300

12. The ultimate goal of Jiufen street is of course the steep stairs right? At the end of it, there is nothing much, so climb back and back track to the temple bus stop, head down to the opposite side for the bus back to Ruifang.. ALL busses go to Ruifang..

Boring stalls left and right







Climb back up and back track. 


13. Find any bus stop that heads downhill direction for your bus back to Ruifang.. The bus will stop in front of Ruifang train station..


TO SHIFEN

Going to Shifen is easier, although it is not that hard anyway actually to get to these 2 places..

1. At Ruifang train station, go to platform 3 and head to the front of the platform for the Pingxi Line to Shifen..

Oh look at the cute lanterns at Platform 3

From the edge of the platform looking back

Map that tells you the attraction at each stop and how to get there

I have never fucking see an arch inside the train

2. The train ride to Shifen takes about 20 minutes give or take.. It's quite full, even for a weekday so I cannot imagine how busy it will be for a weekend.. Other guides mention don't bother going on weekends..

3. The train pulls into Shifen train station, you know it when you see people's hair brushing against the train.. I pity the train have to squeeze through the crowd...

Of course I get into the action as well by selfie-ing when the train approaches...

Shifen train station

Shifen train station, cross the railway track

Yeah take your own sweet time.. 

Shifen map

It's early afternoon with gloomy skies, but thank goodness it's good weather

Selfie first..

I did not light off a lantern, but I spent sometime observing it and enjoying myself.. so I just made my way to Shifen Waterfall as that captivates me more.. Dubbed the "Mini Niagara", very few people will want to walk 30 minutes (2km) one way just to see it, but I do.. 1 hour of walking to and fro and spending another 30 minutes there...

I am a happy boy..

Halfway point.. 15 minutes more to go...




The way to the second bridge (above) is more wobbly than the first..
If you don't walk, you miss out on all these.. and the tour busses all drop you at the top on the left side.. 

You know you are near when a smaller waterfall greets you at the second suspension bridge...

There.. from the first observation deck that many people will only come stay..

Just go a bit further in, a short hike and then down a flight of stairs
and you'll be directly in front of the waterfall...

Best part - THERE IS NOBODY HERE!

Let's do some stupid selfie first...

The hike back up is narrow and slippery.. of course you can backtrack but why miss out on the easier path to go back.. Note: it is only one way, you can only go back up this path as there is a guard and a turnstile gate at the top (first observation deck).


All the prayers and wishes...

I made my wish too..

There, after I done wishing and praying (no harm right), I was told that this is to pray for relationship luck... so guess what? I think it works, because I met someone that same night at the hotel (more on him later posts)..

Lastly before I leave, I took some pictures on the railway track..

It has become crowded by the time I got back from the waterfall

Sit on the railway track

And do stupid selfie pose.. I have to put my phone on against the stones..


Oops.. a train is coming....

Got out of the way just in time...


After that, I hopped on to this train back to Ruifang train station and change to the TRA train back to Taipei... the journey back was longer because I can only get the local train which stops at every station and have to let the express and limited express trains to pass by at every other station!

All in all I think the entire journey back was about 2 hours...


So there... my own experience of finding my own way to Jiufen & Shifen, relying on my gut feel and limited command of Mandarin...

I made it, and it's easy enough... so can you!




2 comments:

Featured post

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2023!

So firstly, I would like to wish you guys a very Happy New Year 2023! I spent the New Year's holiday with my boyfriend in Thailand, in P...

Popular Posts